Robert B. Maddow
- Of Counsel
Robert Maddow, a partner, joined the firm in 1993. Before joining the firm he was General Counsel for East Bay Municipal Utility District in Oakland, California, for nine years, and was an attorney for EBMUD for twelve years prior. He has extensive experience in all phases of the legal work necessary to establish, govern, operate, and maintain a publicly owned water utility to supply municipal and industrial water. Mr. Maddow has also worked on a wide variety of water supply issues related to surface water, groundwater, and recycled water used for irrigation, for both public and private clients. His areas of concentration have included water rights, water supply and quality, wastewater and recycled water, capital improvements programs and projects, real property acquisition and ownership, governmental organization and operation, environmental law, public finance, rates and charges, and customer services regulations.
Mr. Maddow has been a member of the American, California and Alameda County Bar Associations. He has been particularly active in the Association of California Water Agencies, where he served a member of the Board of Directors, and was Chair of the Legal Affairs Committee from 1992 through 2009. He chaired the Proposition 218 subcommittee and has served on the Continuing Legal Education Committee, the Strategic Planning and Policy Committee, and the Water Rights Committee. He previously chaired the Attorneys' Conference, and served on the Legislative Committee and several other standing and ad hoc committees. In 2006, he was named the first winner of the Association's Emissary Award.
Mr. Maddow is a member of the Advisory Board of the "California Water Law and Policy Reporter", which has published several of his articles, and has co-chaired its annual Water Law and Policy Conference. He has lectured for sections of the Alameda and San Francisco Bar Associations, made presentations or served as moderator at numerous continuing legal education programs, and has been a guest lecturer on water law matters at the University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law.
Mr. Maddow received his B.A. in Political Science from Stanford University in 1964, and his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, in 1967.
Areas of Practice
- Water Rights
- Water Supply and Duality
- Wastewater and Recycled Water
- Capital Improvements Programs and Projects
- Real Property Acquisition and Ownership
- Governmental Organization and Operation
- Environmental Law
- Public Finance
- Rates and Charges, and Customer Services Regulations
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1967
- Stanford University
- B.A. - 1964
- Major: Political Science
- Lecturer, Alameda Bar Association
- Lecturer, San Francisco Bar Association
- Guest Lecturer, Water Law Matters, University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- California Bar Association, Member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Association of California Water Agencies, Member of Board of Directors
- Association of California Water Agencies, Chair of the Legal Affairs Committee, 1992 to 2009
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, Chair
- Strategic Planning and Policy Committee, Chair
- Water Rights Committee, Chair
- Advisory Board of the “California Water Law and Policy Reporter, Member
Past Employment Positions
- East Bay Municipal Utility District in Oakland, California, General Counsel
- East Bay Municipal Utility District, Attorney
- Captain, USAF Judge Advocate General’s Corps.